Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sunrise, sunset...[Apr. 6, 2015]



This week has been pretty good, my new companion is Sister Westwood who is super motivated and awesome. She is very positive which is great. She is from St. George, Utah and she's Asian. Pretty much everything there is to her...lol, no, but really I'm excited for the work we can get done this transfer.
Yesterday we went to this referral we got from the Kaw Valley Sisters. Well, she wasn't home, so we decided to tract around and we got a few appts for later and just some really solid potentials. I was thinking about it and I was like why haven't we tracted this area before and why does it not look familiar at all? Well, we went back to the car and texted our Ward Mission Leader asking if it really was our area. Long story short, the Sherwood Sisters got some awesome referrals from us.
On Friday, we went to this thing in Lawrence, KS they do in the church building called "Walk with Christ". They transform the rooms inside to steps in Christ's life and have actors explain that part in Christ's life. We got a ride from an older part-member family. There was a long line outside and it was pretty cold. The couple we were with were getting tired of standing and it was really cold. Well this lady came by and was like mentioning if there was any nonmembers they are taking them to the front. I was super excited and yelled out, wait, he's not a member! I felt a little bad about it afterwards of just stating his nonmemberness to the world, but then later his wife was like, wow, I'd never thought there would be a time I'd be happy you're not a member.
It was so awesome, they put a lot of work and money towards it. At the end they showed the "Because He Lives" video and I really started thinking about our relationship towards Christ. It's just like any other relationship we have. Whatever effort WE put into it, is what WE get out of it. If you don't feel like you are receiving strength through the atonement, in the words of Mrs. Weasley, it is entirely YOUR fault. It reminds me of Fiddler on the Roof when Tevye asks his wife, "Do you love me?" She starts off saying, I don't know... (okay it's been awhile since I've seen it, but I think it goes like that and all I can think of is that gilmore girl episode when Kirk plays Tevye and it's for this elementary school play so his wife is a little girl and he's asking her, do you love me? It's fantastic.) and then she realizes she does all the cooking and cleaning for him and then realizes she does love him. Of course, our relationship with Christ is different, but we still can exert physical efforts. He asks us to serve others through magnifying our calling and building our families, yeah pretty much anything we do, that involves building the kingdom and keeping His commandments would build on that relationship with Christ. It was an epiphany that I had, but I'm pretty sure, it would only really make sense if you received this epiphany as well.
Our last two new investigators we got are named John and Jane.... with such generic names I think our District Leader is thinking we are making them up. John is pretty awesome, though, he is super interested in the Plan of Salvation and he asks some intense questions that you answer and you can see the light bulbs go off in his head.
We have been working, or I should say attempting to work with the girls in our ward for our young women investigator and it has been a bit frustrating. Not that it reminds me of the ward I grew up in, but I'm getting flashbacks of the ward I grew up in. I've been having to use more charity and like patience and like it's just a good thing that I don't send the texts without reading them to my companion, because they would be getting some really snooty responses.




No comments:

Post a Comment