Monday, October 20, 2014

Travailler...[Oct. 20, 2014]

Sometimes, not often, but on occasion, I start thinking of things that stress me out for absolutely no reason, and I have to consciously stop thinking about it. Like what happens if you live on a time zone; does everyone just get super confused and you say I'll meet you at this time, and then you meet them and they are like no I meant the hour before that...and you have to say Mountain time or something like that, I don't know? I was thinking this back in Wichita, and I was like I'm sure people have it figured out stop thinking about it. Of course, now here I am only a few minutes away from a time zone. Thankfully, the fine town of Goodland is not divided by a time zone, so there is no confusion and I'm pretty sure there is no town on Earth that is divided by a time zone, so don't start worrying about it either, not like anyone would, I'm just really weird.

Anyways, in my last post, I said that I am near Garden City. I'm not. I just assumed so because I'm in the Garden City zone, but actually that is two hours away. I am 30 minutes from Burlington, Colorado where we have church. We introduced ourselves at church and the other new elder was like, I am so excited to be in Colorado and I was like thinking what is he on...oh wait that's right. This is going to take some getting used to.

We are in mountain time zone and our district leader is in central time zone, so we have to drive 30 minutes to Colby for district meeting and the time difference also makes calling interesting. Our mission has the district leader call us every night to talk about what you did that day, so now it is always at inconvenient times. Our branch is um, tiny....33 people came to church last Sunday, and 8 of those people were missionaries, 2 were a senior couple just driving through to their area in Florida, 2 elders are serving in Burlington, 2 were a senior couple that are serving in Burlington, and then us.


We obviously have a full time car, and actually in my last area in all three wards the missionaries have full time cars now. I mentioned how dangerous it is to bike in Wichita to my mission president, and I like to think it's because he took my advice. There's no street lights there, I don't know if it is to save on money or what, but the last night we were there, we biked in the evening after dark to get to some investigators, and we were crossing at a street light (we had blinking lights on our bikes at the time) and it was our right of way and a car turned left almost into my companion, it stopped like a foot away and sat honking it's horn. I love Kansas drivers....

This zone had interviews at the very end of transfers and there was some major drama and disobedience in this district, and each companionship got pulled one companion. Hence, probably the last minute change with my last companion not training. Of course, what do you do when there is disobedience in the furthest district from the mission office...you send in the Elder that is a marine and of course apparently Sister Seymour :D  The first thing my comp told me was, well that we are so far away, we can get away with more stuff and it's not as strict out here. In my brain I was just like, honey, I hope you enjoyed that when it lasted, because I didn't come out on a mission to waste my time doing things that I would do on my most boring day off the mission.

I'm pretty sure Goodland maintains it's population through online dating, my favorite ice breaker questions for members is how did you meet...and every answer I have gotten so far is online. It's super windy here as well, especially in front of Walmart, we had two people talk to us at different times about it one day and a less active who told us that he got a concussion from the wind and his car door. At the hospital, they obviously didn't believe him and took him to a room to ask about his wife. I've also heard of two instances (one was a semi and another a companionship last transfer) where cars have flipped on the highway just because of the wind.

My companion, Sister Fosselman, is awesome! Easiest companion to get along with and daily plans like a boss...it helps that she's been out 14 months. I hope I am not pushing her too much, because I can tell the amount of work we have been doing is more than she is used to, but we are going to rock it out here. We got 4 new investigators within an hour tracting a single street. Things just got real. Everyone who has been here longer than like 10 years knows each other, so we get referrals like crazy, it's awesome. It's just going to be hard getting members out with us, considering there is literally only a handful, (okay maybe not literally).


Goodland Watertower
Giant Van Gogh painting
in Goodland.

Anna and I.
She said to me as we were taking it,
 "oh you want a picture
of the one that got away."
 I was like, "um, no the one who is
 just taking her own good time.
It's all about time."

Barbara and I.



 Griz (the guy that got baptized
right when I got out),
Sister Andersen, and I
.

Grizz, being a wierdo,
with his wife, and I.

Grizz, his wife, and I. 

Sister Biel is a member
who just got sealed to her late husband.
She has been wanting to say
her testimony on Sundays,
but she can't walk to the pulpit.
Last Sunday, she got up the courage
 and asked them to give her
a microphone to say it,
 and even though it was so simple,
 it made a huge difference.
That's because there is a less active in the ward,
 who would otherwise not talk to her,
but was there to hear her testimony,
 and later did go up to her to ask her
 how it felt to be sealed to her husband.
The less active is working on
being able to be sealed to
her own deceased husband.
Sometimes things that don't seem so important
 really make all the difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment