Monday, October 27, 2014

I'm on the Edge... of Nowhere...[Oct. 27, 2014]


I forgot to mention the housing coordinator pointed on a map where Goodland was, and I was like, "Wow that's in the middle of nowhere",,,and he goes, "Nope that's on the EDGE of nowhere." But he was wrong...it's in the middle of nowhere. 

We were at a less active's house, and he plays the guitar. He wanted to play some hymns for this thing and had a nice stack of copies from the hymnbook and was like, "It takes me forever to figure out the chords, if only I had someone who could do it for me." I was like I CAN DO IT and proceeded to aw him with my amazing chord analysis...(okay, it was something like that)! It was fun doing that again though. When I was taking my music theory, I wondered when on earth I would ever need to analyze chords in real life, but apparently there is that need. I think I remember how to do that better than play cello, I played for transfer devotional and my hand was just all sloppy and my wrist and fingers were so sore afterwards....I've lost all muscle. Aghhhh!

Apparently, I've sloughed off in talking about my companion. She is awesome! She is 22 and from Glendora, CA and is a dental assistant. She played a big role in a miracle we had this week. 

We met this guy once while tracting (his name is John and he is from Hungary, I informed him I was actually just there a few months ago and then he talked a bit more and was like oh I also went to school for three years in Austria and I was like I spent three months there! Study abroad for the win!)...and on Saturday when we had an appointment, he forgot and was on his way out the door, so we quickly set up another appointment and then Sister Fosselman asked him if he could make it to church tomorrow. Then he was like maybe and she went on about how important it is and that I was talking in it, and then he sighed and was like well do you have the address and do I have to drive myself there...um yeah....Then Sunday morning, Sister Fosselman called him and was like are you coming and he sighed again and was like what time does it start again and I just was thinking this whole time he is so annoyed with us. We haven't even really taught him anything. Well, church started and as I guessed, he was not there, but two seconds after the branch president started the announcements, guess who was in the doorway! 

We had dinner at the Klemm's, who are an awesome family and live on a buffalo ranch. (they fed us buffalo meatloaf, delish!) It took like 15 minutes of driving on a gravel road to get to their house and it was pitch black on our way back and there were speeding semi's hauling corn on this road and in an effort not to get hit head on, I had to teach Sister Fosselman how to use her brights...yeah that happened. The Klemm's found the church, because they felt they needed to start going to church, so they attended a couple different ones and one week tried the Mormon church and the bishop introduced himself. He was like, "Oh, are you just visiting?" They were like, "Uh, yeah sure." Then left, because they didn't know there was a Sunday School afterwards. A year later they went again randomly, and the bishop was like, "Oh, are you staying the next two hours this time?" They were like, "What?"... and he was like, "What?" ...and then realized they weren't members and introduced them to the missionaries. 

We talked about our next appointment, which happened to be with this young Baptist pastor, (we met him tracting and was super nice), well the Klemm's were like, "What's his name?" ...and Sister Klemm was friends with his wife on Facebook, and they gave us some good advice for how to approach it. 

Well, when we went to talk with him, he was really nice. He told us how he came across the Baptist church and what led him to be a pastor. Then we talked about his hold ups with our church, which are mainly he has this thing against Joseph Smith, something he found in the church history book, and also he for some reason doesn't like the fact of where we are going after this. He invited us to go out to lunch with his wife and him later, so maybe we will be able to help him then. He seemed really genuine and after we asked him why he was so nice he was just like well if what you guys are telling me is true, then I would be held accountable for it and should probably know.



What does the city of Goodland
and the axe murderer in your basement
have in common? They're both
 waiting for you...
Field...

Another field (sensing a theme??)...

Banner thing.



Sister Fosselman (flossy) and me.

 This is the Williams.
Brother Williams isn't a member,
I had to inform him that
the two baptisms I've had were old geezers
who's wives were members and
 he better watch out and
he just laughed and nodded his head.
He is the ultimate country bumpkin
(he calls himself that)
he owns a manure hauling business
and is the most hilarious person
 I have met on my mission yet.
I have not laughed so hard
as I have in Goodland.
 He likes to broaden our vocabulary,
so he uses words like Ol' biddy,
which he sometimes calls his wife
 and she rolls her eyes. 
He uses it as a term of endearment,
but really it means a defeathered chicken
or gossipy lady. He also calls
things ackumpuckie,
when he doesn't know what else to call them...
like delicious, but unidentifiable
chocolate dessert.
He attempted to enlist us
to haul manure for him,
but we informed him that was
not going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment